Born: June 5, 1981 in Cincinnati, Ohio
High School: Pike High School (Indianapolis, Indiana) 1999
College: Coastal Carolina University (South Carolina) Bachelor’s degree in Psychology 2004
• Lettered in Basketball and Track & Field
• Five-time NCAA All American
• Two-time Big South Female Athlete of the Year
• Six-time Big South Track & Field Most Outstanding Athlete
• 16-time Big South Champion (Weight Throw, Hammer Throw, Shot Put, & Discus)
• Set American Collegiate Record (Weight and Hammer Throw)
• Three-time Big South Athlete of the Year.
Amber is one of the best women’s hammer throwers in the world. She has won 11 national championships, and she is a two-time Pan American Games Medalist. She owns the Olympic Trials and American Olympic record.
• Three-time United States Olympian (2008, 2012, 2016). Her mark and placing at the Rio Olympics in 2016 was the best ever by an American woman. Campbell finished with a throw of 72.74 meters –just two meters away from the bronze medal. She threw her personal best –74.03 meters – at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., in June 2016.
• At the 2008 Olympic Gamesand 2012 Olympic Games without reaching the final.
• She has represented Team USA at five World Championships (2005, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015)
• International Competition results representing the United States
o 2002 2nd place at the North American, Central American and Caribbean Championships (NACAC) U-25 Championship in San Antonio, Texas with a throw of 62.71 meters.
o 2005 18th place at the World Championships in Helsinki, Finland with at throw of 65.48 meters.
o 2008 21st place at the Olympic Games at Beijing, China with a throw of 67.86 meters.
o 2009 11th place at the World Championships at Belin, Germany with a throw at 70.08 meters.
o 2011 Bronze medal (3rd place ) at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico with at throw of 69.93 meters
o 2012 13th place at the Olympic Games in London, United Kingdom with a throw of 69.93 meters
o 2013 13th place at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia with a throw of 69.86 meters.
o 2013 Silver medal (2nd place) at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada with a throw of 71.22 meters
o 2015 Gold medal (1st place) NACAC Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica with a throw of 72.41 meters
o 2015 Did not place in the World Championships in Beijing, China
o 2016 6th place at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with a throw of 72.74 meters.
• Serves CCU as a volunteer assistant coach for throwers.
• Currently serves her community as the City of Myrtle Beach’s Organizational Development Coordinator in the Human Resource/Organizational Development Department.
• 2009 Inducted into the Coastal Carolina University’s George F. “Buddy” Sasser Hall of Fame
• 2016 Inducted into the Big South Conference Hall of
• 2017 Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science from Coastal Carolina University after delivering the Spring Commencement address.